I think this book gets the prize for the most misleading title in the whole series...
The BSC has decided to run a summer play group three mornings a week for some of their charges. I guess they didn't get enough of large groups of children in the last book. :) The usual sitting hijinks ensue; Karen makes Jenny Prezzioso believe that Andrew is a monster, and also scares an entire playground full of kids into thinking that aliens are going to invade the earth.
On the domestic front, things are not well in the Kishi household. Claudia is fed up with Janine's lack of help around the house and the way she always manages to make Claudia's activities seem less important than hers. When Mimi has her stroke, Claudia gets even more frustrated. She ends up dropping out of the BSC play group and switching around art classes to sit with and care for Mimi, while Janine is let off the hook. Um, Claudia? You volunteered. Janine tried, but you interrupted her. She focuses on school because that's what everyone tells her to do. She makes your life seem stupid because she's hurt when you won't try and understand her better. Claudia and Janine end up talking things out, and both agree to try a little harder to get along.
Thoughts and Things
- It sounds like Elizabeth and Watson have been back from their honeymoon for at least a few days when this book starts, but Kristy and her family don't move to the mansion until the middle of the book. Those living arrangements must have been interesting, since all the Thomases were apparently still living in their old house. I guess Watson could have just been staying with them, but I doubt it; Karen and Andrew were with him at that point, and weren't at the Thomases' house.
- Claudia thinks it's her fault that Mimi had a stroke, because she threw a tantrum right before it happened and was rude to her. I actually feel sorry for Claudia; it's not that uncommon for kids to feel responsible for things like that.
- Stacey gets her hair cut to her shoulders. I'm not an expert on perms, but wouldn't fluffy, curly hair just look like a fro if it was that short? Mallory's hair was even shorter when she got it cut in #21, and I just can't imagine that working, either.
- Lucy Newton is christened in this one. Do people have big, fancy christenings anymore, with the fancy white baby dresses and the big parties afterward? I don't know anyone who actually had one, or who did that for their child.
- Claudia wears a snake bracelet to art class. I'd wear a snake bracelet almost anywhere. :)