Enemies at first, then friends
Bonded over dogs
The Thomases are more or less settled in Watsons' neighborhood, and everyone but Kristy has managed to make friends. She thinks the other girls in the neighborhood are snobs, and doesn't actually want to make the effort to get to know them. She and Shannon Kilbourne, in particular, develop an instant dislike to each other. They play some pranks on each other, but when Shannon confesses that she was jealous of Kristy's success with the BSC (and the jobs Kristy was getting that used to go to Shannon), they're on their way to a friendship. Shannon even gives the Thomases a puppy (welcome to the family, canine Shannon) after Louie dies. She also becomes the second alternate officer of the BSC.
In subplot news, Louie the collie isn't doing so well. He's having trouble moving, and it's clear he's in pain. The Thomases try pills and shots, but nothing works. They have a family meeting, and eventually make the decision to put him down. After all these years, I still can't read the descriptions of what Louie goes through (falling down the stairs, losing control of his back legs, etc) or the entire chapter where the Thomases take him to the vet for the last time without getting choked up. Heck, I'm getting choked up now, in the middle of the freaking library! BSC books should not have the power to do this to a relatively non-weepy and emotional adult.
Thoughts and Things
- Shannon's uniform on the cover is hideous. Amanda's is okay, but why does she have blond hair, when she's described as a brunette in the book? I've always seen her as a blond, so I'm okay with that particular inconsistency.
- Did you know that Priscilla the beautiful white Persian cat cost $400? :D
- There's a lot of snark out there about AMM making doctors, police officers, and other professional people female for feminist reasons. It's actually realistic that the Thomases' vet would be a woman, though; there are far more female veterinary students than male ones these days.
- Shannon went way too far when she called Kristy, claiming that the Papadakis house was on fire. What if Kristy had called the fire department, or asked someone who wasn't Shannon to do it? That's a good way to get fined.
- Eh, I just can't pick on this one too much because of all the Louie stuff. The next one has way more material for that kind of thing!