The BSC is starting 8th grade...for the first of many times. Mary Anne marks the momentous occasion by getting a bra and falling for Logan, who's just moved to Stoneybrook. She isn't the only one; the other sitters seem to have the hots for him, too. I wonder what would have happened if another BSC member decided she wanted him? Probably the same thing that happened when Claudia and Stacey fought over Jeremy in the Friends Forever series. Anyway, the girls are little overwhelmed by the amount of new clients who are calling for sitters. They'd advertised in Kristy's neighborhood as well as at a PTA meeting, and they're in over their heads. They discuss the problem at lunch one day, and who volunteers his services? Logan, the Dreamboat of SMS. They invite him to a meeting, but it's awkward from the start. Claudia tells a story about a bra strap which embarrasses everyone, and Logan starts to tell a story about toilet training, but can't finish it. I'm still not sure what he was about to say before he realized that he couldn't in front of girls. When the Rodowskys call wanting a sitter (this is their first appearance in the series), Kristy wants Logan to go on the job with one of the sitters. Mary Anne oh-so-coincidentally happens to be the only one free. The job goes pretty well (Mary Anne actually manages to talk to Logan instead of being completely tongue-tied), but at the next meeting, the girls agree that it would be really uncomfortable to have Logan at every meeting. They give Mary Anne the job of calling Logan to tell him that. She calls from home after the meeting, and Logan invites her to the Remember September Dance. Mary Anne's dad actually gives her permission to go, and even gives her his credit card to buy a new outfit. The whole club helps, and the famous cities skirt is purchased. I know I'm not the only one who wanted one of those back in the day! At the dance itself, Mary Anne actually manages to have a good time until her shoe flies off and nearly hits the vice principal in the head. She's mortified, and goes stomping off to the bleachers until the dance is over. I can't believe Logan was willing to put up with her after that; most 13 year old boys would be running the other way. I guess Logan is Super Boyfriend or something, because the relationship continues. Stacey pushes Mary Anne to invite him to a party she's having, which is going to involve a surprise cake in honor of Mary Anne's birthday (hence the necessity of her attendance). When the cake is brought out and Mary Anne finds herself the center of attention, she bolts. She waits at home for someone to come by and apologize to her for putting her on the spot like that, but it doesn't happen. The next day, Mary Anne asks her dad for a cat. He agrees, and she calls Logan to ask him to come to the shelter with her later that day. They talk about the party, everything is hunky dory, Logan meets them at the shelter, and Mary Anne adopts the other love of her life, Tigger. A few days later, the BSC is meeting when a job comes in that none of them can take. It's for a family with four boys, and the girls know that Logan would be perfect for the job. They don't want to give the job to a non-club member, so Mary Anne comes up with the whole associate member idea. It's nice to see someone other than Kristy have a good idea! Logan accepts, and all is right with the world. :)
Thoughts and Things
- I can't believe Mary Anne thought that her friends owed her an apology for the surprise cake at the party. She's the one who ran away, which probably put a damper on the whole shebang. Good grief!
- Are bra straps still embarrassing to 13 year olds? I'm guessing not...I've overheard some far more, um, adult conversations between kids that age. Times change, I guess.
- Pete Black is dating Dorianne Wallingford in this book (that's where the bra strap story came from). He gets around; he dated Stacey, goes to a dance with Dawn, had a thing for Laine Cummings when she visited Stoneybrook, and asks Mary Anne out after she breaks up with Logan in Friends Forever.
- The SMS students aren't supposed to use tape to put things up in their lockers; they use gum instead. Wouldn't gum be a lot harder to remove?
- When I picture Cam Geary these days, I picture Zac Efron.