It's spring break, and Dawn is headed to California for a visit. She's pretty excited, since she'll be seeing Jeff for the first time since he moved back, and she's missed her little brother. The visit is filled with plenty of fun; the Schafers go to Disneyland, and Sunny Winslow surprises Dawn by introducing her to the We Love Kids Club. It's a more relaxed, "California" version of the BSC, and Dawn is pretty impressed at first. She even gets a job or two with some of her old clients. Between that, the sun, and the beach trips, Dawn starts to seriously think of moving back to California. She feels she fits in better there than in Connecticut, but the decision isn't exactly cut and dry for her. She makes a list of pros and cons, talks to her dad and Sunny, and eventually decides that she belongs in Connecticut after all. At least, for the next 40 books....
Thoughts and Things
- Foreshadowing alert: Mr. Schafer suggests that Dawn bring all her friends out to CA for a visit. I'm surprised he didn't suggest they buy a lottery ticket to try and earn the money for the trip!
- LOVE the Feldman/Newton/Perkins sitting chapter. I've always liked those Feldmans, and I wish they'd been in the series more often.
- Heh...Jeff is stopped at the airport metal detector because he has a knife in his pocket. If that happened today, he'd probably be arrested.
- Dawn wants to go to Jungleland when she, her dad, and Jeff go to Disneyland. The trouble is that there is no Jungleland, and there wasn't back when this book was written, either. I think AMM probably meant Adventureland.
- It's funny how certain books lend themselves to short summaries, and some lend themselves to long summaries. This one was a snap.