Jake Kuhn is still pretty depressed over his parents' divorce. Mary Anne thinks it might help him to have a guy around, so she invites Logan over to play with him while she's sitting at the Kuhns' house. It seems to do the trick; Jake is much happier, and Mrs. Kuhn compliments Mary Anne on the change in Jake's mood. Mary Anne tries to tell her that it's actually Logan who's helped Jake, but Mrs. Kuhn doesn't give her a chance. Logan continues to visit Jake, and Jake continues to enjoy the new friendship. Then, Mrs. Kuhn comes home early one day and finds him there. She's not happy that Mary Anne invited her boyfriend over, and Mary Anne doesn't want to tell her the truth. She thinks doing so will offend Mrs. Kuhn.
Mary Anne heads to a BSC meeting right after that, and before she can confess what happened, Mrs. Kuhn calls the BSC. She's pretty mad, and the other members of the BSC aren't exactly happy, either. As usual when a member screws up, the club is sure Mrs. Kuhn is going to tell all their clients and the BSC will go out of business. Also as always, the club seems to get far fewer calls in the days following Mary Anne's little mistake, and Mary Anne feels awful. Then, Jake and his mother show up on Mary Anne's doorstep one day. Jake had explained everything to his Mrs. Kuhn regarding Logan, and she wants to apologize to Mary Anne. They straighten everything out, and BOTH Logan and Mary Anne are invited back to the Kuhns'.
Meanwhile, there's a haunted house war going on in Stoneybrook. One group of sitting charges sets up a gross haunted house with help from Alan Gray, and one group sets up a funny one with help from Logan.
Thoughts and Things
- It's been well-discussed that Mary Anne should have just asserted herself and told Mrs. Kuhn the truth from the beginning, but...Mary Anne should have just asserted herself and told Mrs. Kuhn the truth from the beginning. :)
- Poor chubby Jake...couldn't Hodges at least drawn a coat on him that fit well?
- This book is classic Lerangis...lots of stupid puns and comments about vomiting.
- More discrepancy between the 11 year olds in Stoneybrook: Tiffany Kilbourne is going trick or treating as a ballerina, when Jessi and Mallory have been too old for trick or treating for awhile now.
- I went trick or treating through middle school; I was short, so I could get away with it. :)